Mass was celebrated at the Church of St Stephen in Old Kilcarne, for the first time in 1192 AD. It has been a place of Christian worship and burial ever since. The old cemetery, as with all historic properties, is in the ownership of the State, but the whole cemetery comes under the management, care and cost of the Parish. In the late 20th century, the old cemetery had become overgrown and almost abandoned. It was reclaimed by a group of volunteers. In 1992, by the generous gift of the Carolan Family, the cemetery was extended by the addition of the adjoining site, now called “The new cemetery”. The maintenance of the cemetery is funded solely by the purchase of plots and the annual collection at the Blessing of Graves in August.
Given the limited space available and the demands of a large parish population, respecting the wishes of parishioners, a policy was adopted in May 2013 whereby new burial plots are available on a next-in-line basis, only at the time of death, and to those who live within the boundaries of the Parish.
- Contact: The Parish Office
Also known as Monktown, this historic cemetery has grown up around the ruins of a medieval church. Overlooking the cemetery is the majestic cross with the inscription “Crux stat dum volvitur urbis” (The cross stands firm amidst a changing world). Approached by a quiet tree-lined avenue, the cemetery is looked after, on behalf of the Parish, by a dedicated committee of volunteers.
- Contact person: Carmel Duffy C/O Parish Office.
This historic cemetery, also around the ruins of an ancient church, on a hillside, looking towards the Hill of Tara and with a panoramic view over the Boyne Valley is in the care of Meath County Council and is managed on their behalf by a Committee.
- For more details, please contact the Parish Office.